Andrew Dury: A Plan of the Island of St. John with the divisions of the Counties, Parishes & the Lots as granted by Government
|
| |
|
Cartographer:
|
Andrew Dury
|
Title:
|
A Plan of the Island of St. John with the divisions of the Counties, Parishes & the Lots as granted by Government
|
Date:
|
1775
|
Published:
|
London
|
Width:
|
28 inches / 72 cm
|
Height:
|
14 inches / 36 cm
|
Map ref:
|
CAN3010
|
Description:
|
|
Large and detailed survey of Prince Edward Island, here called by its former French name, St. John's Island. The island is divided into counties, parishes, and individual land grants. Nautical soundings are also marked along the coast, and hazards are identified.
The map is based on a survey by Captain Samuel Holland, the first Surveyor-General of British North America, and the man who taught the explorer James Cook to survey. Holland arrived on PEI in 1764, shortly after the island was ceded by the French. His survey of the island took more than two years to complete, and it was he who created the subdivisions shown on this map. In appreciation of his work, Holland was granted a parcel of land, marked on this map as '28', the southernmost portion of St. David's Parish.
Original hand-colour. [CAN3010] |